Thursday, June 25, 2009

A stopping point ***Picture Update***

Umm, okay, I know we have been home for about a week now and I left y'all hanging at that big hole in the ground. Well that hole in the ground was the Grand Canyon or the Grand Can, as Ave calls it. If you have never been, GO! It is absolutely magnificant! Pictures do not do it justice in any way (speaking of pictures, I will post some later. they are all uploaded to the laptop and I am not posting this from the laptop, sooo, pictures will come later) We planned to go to the Grand Can and then stay the night at an RV park that I found on the internet. This RV park was about 30 miles away from the actual canyon. I was unaware that there were RV parks in Tusayan, the little town at the starting point of the Grand Canyon. I was aware that one could camp inside the park, but I figured all those sites were already booked. So, BedRock City RV and Theme Park it was! not. It was Flintstones themed. There was a giant wooden Fred welcoming us. There was also a "theme park" behind this huge rock wall. We didn't venture to the "theme park" but judging from what was on this side of the rock wall, we concluded that it consisted of broken down dinosaur rides. We unhooked the camper and left it there with the other campers. or lifelong residents as it seemed. and proceeded to the Grand Can. We parked and walked one of the trails. As I mentioned before, it was awesome! Although, it was a little scary. There was nothing separating us from a mile long fall into the canyons below. and with a an almost three year old, and a husband who liked to get just a liiiiittle too close to the edge, I was on edge! We took loads of pictures, and Ave even posed Bobby (her stuffed horse that she's had since she was about six months old) for pictures. too cute.We hiked to the visitor center and checked stuff out there. After buying some water and some too expensive batteries for the camera, it was time to hike back to the truck. IN THE RAIN. boo. We could have taken a shuttle.but somebody didn't want to. (that someone wasn't me) So after hiking it back in the rain and dodging the lightening, we made it back to the truck. We then went in search for something to eat and ended up at a place called Spaghetti Western. It was decorated in western decor and served "italian" food. For only $57, we (sort of) enjoyed a grilled cheese, a small pizza, and a chicken dish. neat-o. After our fine dining experience, we headed back to the camper. After much, or not so much, contemplating, we decided to hook up and head out. We then drove. and drove. and drove. And then stopped at a KOA for a little rest. I was a little sad that we drove through the painted desert at night. I really wanted to see it. and the Petrified Forest. oh well. Thursday, was a driving day. ALL day. Billy finally worked up the nerve to let me drive around Albuquerque. and then we took turns driving the rest of the way home. really I only drove a few hundred miles, but whatev. We rolled in to good ol' Arkadoo around 3am Friday morning. Home sweet home! Although, I would have loved to stay gone a liiiitle bit longer, it is nice to be home!
OHH, and I did get to go to Vegas that one night. with a sleeping Ave in the backseat. and a husband who really didn't want to be there. fun times I tell ya!



******* I updated with some pictures********




See, told ya there was a giant Fred.

What I didn't tell you, was that there was a Wilma's Laundry.
and also a Buffalo Lodge.

Bobby visits the Grand Can.


Please excuse poor Bobby's ears. He's had a rough life.
Avery and Bobby



Avery and Daddy


The Grand Can


We saw these guys on the side of the road as we were leaving the park. I was the chosen one to get out of the truck and trompse into the woods to take pictures of them.



A rainbow somewhere in Arizona



The cutest girl in the world at the Grand Can =)


2 comments:

Amber said...

I would love to take the boys to the Grand Canyon. One day, maybe. But my husband would be like yours....the one leering over the edge, most likely dangling a child, because "it's fun." I would be the one having a panic attack.

I waved at every boat that went by our beach today at the lake...maybe one of them was you!!

B said...

When I saw your pictures of Bed Rock, I felt like I had been there before! Then I remembered Kindra from Girls Next Door went there not long ago! Her and her fiance went in Fred's house as the show cut to a commercial break...then again they didn't have Avery with them...(: